Little Rocks, Bantam, Junior
This instructional league consists of three separate age groups: Little Rockers aged 6 – 11; Bantams, aged 12 - 15; Juniors aged 16 - 19.
We meet on Sundays from 1:00 until 3:00 p.m. and aim to teach the basics of curling, do some skills development and to have fun.
This year, the OCA is offering the "Hit, Draw and Tap" challenge; it is hoped that both the Little Rockers and the Bantams will take part.
Welcome Curlers, Parents/Guardians to another season of curling.
Youth curling starts on Sunday, October 14, 2018
This year we welcome another coach to our team – Laurene Green, a fun and energetic curler who has coached high school students for many years. We look forward to her experience. Returning coaches are Angie and Jeff Porteous, Mike Smith, Bruce Rogers and me, Diana Rogers. Angie and Mike have signed up for a refresher coaching course offered by the Ontario Curling Association and will bring back new and exciting ideas. Our focus is on Fun, Friendship, Etiquette and Safety while learning curling skills that will last a lifetime.
Plans for this season include:
Curlers should be at the club at least 15 minutes before curling starts!. We are on the ice at 1:15 p.m. after off ice instruction and announcements. Curlers arriving late disrupt the lesson. Each week curlers will learn new skills at his/her own pace. Little Rockers will be introduced to curling using youth sized rocks and will soon advance to regulation rocks.
Safety on the ice is an absolute must. No Running. Our coaching team will be on hand to assist curlers during the week’s skill/drill and during a fun game. The aim is to play at least 4 ends (all youth or with family). Older youth curlers can join in or play doubles.
Equipment: We would prefer if curlers could provide their own slider/gripper as the club supply is limited. If you don’t have your own equipment, the curling club can provide weekly, a slider, gripper and use of a club broom. Returning curlers check that your slider/gripper still fits over your clean indoor shoes and isn’t worn out. Two grippers should be worn when curlers are sweeping.
Clothing: We suggest you dress in layers and wear a warm loose fitting zippered jacket or hoodie and a toque. A pair of warm snug fitting gloves with leather palms if possible (no hockey gloves). The leather palms help curlers hold onto the broom when sweeping. No jeans please. Curlers need to bring a pair of clean indoor running shoes if they don’t have curling shoes. Absolutely no boots or other outside footwear on the ice. We need to keep our ice clean and free of salt. A helmet for Little Rockers is recommended.
Curlers, remember it’s your responsibility to organize and bring your curling equipment to the club, not Mom, Dad or Grandparents.
Our First Session runs from October 14 to December 16, 2018. We have one Sunday – November 25 when we start at 3:00 p.m. due to an OCA event. All others at 1:00 p.m.
During this session coaches will work with curlers participating in the Hit Draw Tap Skills competition. The club has paid the entry fee, so the competition is free to all curlers 6 - 13. We encourage all curlers to sign up. Scores will be sent to the OCA along with scores from other clubs in the province. Hopefully our scores will be high enough to send curlers to the Provincial competition.
The Second Session starts January 6 and ends March 24, 2019.
We encourage our youth curlers to enter local bonspiels. A list of outside club youth bonspiels will be posted on the board in the main lounge. Of course we’d like you to enter our U-15 Bonspiel and/or the Little Rock Fun Spiel for 6 – 12 year olds. This spiel is for new and non-competitive curlers. Find three friends to enter with you and have some fun.
Parents, we always need volunteers to help especially on bonspiel day, in the kitchen on Sunday curling to make the hot chocolate and to sign-up for Sunday snacks. If your youth curler is in an outside bonspiel you could offer to carpool.
Welcome again. Our coaching team looks forward to an exciting season of curling. Any questions or suggestions, please call me at (705) 328-0240 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Yours in curling
- Lindsay U-15 bonspiel – January 12, 2019 sponsored by John O’Reilly Real Estate
- Little Rock Fun Spiel – Saturday, February 23, 2019 – sponsored by Crayola Canada
- Hit, Tap, Draw Skills Competition for curlers 6-13 years. We hope to again send curlers to the Provincial Skills competition. Last season Owen Porteous and Miranda Teel represented our club at the Provincials in Huntsville and Miranda won the Provincials in her age group.
- Inter-club curling. We will try to arrange games with youth from other clubs.
- Mixed Doubles curling: The club will have a trial sign-up once the season gets going and try some games on open ice during the week or on weekends. There could be adults participating on Sunday. No matter the outcome of the trial period, older youth curlers can continue with doubles curling on Sunday afternoon.
- Parents, grandparents and guardians: We welcome and encourage you to curl with the youth curlers after the snack break making Sunday afternoon a family activity.
- Gore High School Competition: We would like to send a boys and girls team to the Gore High School Competition. All curlers must be from the same High School. Tell your friends.